Update: Post event - I've striked out the things I predicted incorrectly.
First of all, I want to state that I do not write this post with insider tips of what is going to be released on Tuesday. I am also not arrogant enough to think that more than 5 people who read this post really care what i have to say on the subject. Instead, I write this mainly for my own amusement and enjoyment to publicly state what I think will be announced so as to see how right or wrong I was afterward. If any of this is interesting to you, then so much the better. A lot of what I'm to say you've probably read elsewhere already. By typing these words to pixel, I'm forcing myself to be honest and serious about what I want to commit to and not.
Getting that preamble out of the way, I am going to categorize my predictions into:
- What will be announced (Confident Yes)
- What won't be announced (Confident No)
- What might be announced (Unsure)
- Two new phone models: iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C.
- iPhone 5S in: White/Champagne, White/Silver, Black/Silver,
- iPhone 5C with plastic backs in assorted colors
- iPhone 5C contains mostly or all iPhone 5 internals, with possible "weaker" components here and there.
- iOS 7 GM demoed (and released to developers for download)
- Sell and ship dates; pre-order Sept. 13 starting early in the morning, and delivered(FedEx/UPS) or on sale in store on Sept. 20.
- iTunes 11.1 + iTunes Radio demoed; available for download late Sept 19/early Sept 20
AppleTV will receive some type of software update. Not sure on exact features as I haven't payed much attention to it in this beta period. AllThingsD said enchanced Home Sharing functionality to easily access your own content on foreign AppleTVs (as in ones at work or a friend's house). This plus whatever updates are being done to it to work with functionality being added in iOS 7.
- iPhone 5S will be faster, have a better camera, support new AC Wifi spec....you get the picture. Almost all existing hardware components will improve in some way.
- OS X 10.9 Mavericks will not be released
- No 'iWatch' or whatever it is to be called (and I'm still not convinced this will ever be a product)
- No new Apple TV hardware
- No Mac Pro or any updates to any Macs
Not So Sure About
128GB option for iPhone 5S Leaning yes. Somewhat confident
- I'm not sure if we'll see new iPads and iPad minis, but I'm leaning towards a no given that would be a lot to announce during a single event and we've seen very little to no rumors about these. I believe the iPad event will be in October along with the new Macs and Mavericks. Leaning no. Somewhat confident.
- iPhone 5S (maybe 5C too???) finger print scanner on the Home Button. There has been a lot of smoke about this one. Code for it was event found in the iOS 7 SDK. Leaning yes but not confident.
- Pricing shift with regards to storage due to the 5C being introduced:
- iPhone 5C will come in 2 sizes - 16GB and 32GB
iPhone 5S will come in 3 sizes too - 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB at the existing pricepoints we're used to. Leaning yes but not confident. I can't help but feel that 16GB is much too small of a storage size on their premium model 6 years in. Adding the "cheaper" iPhone 5C for casual customers allows them to keep a 16GB option and to entice those same people to spring for the 5S due to 32GB size option on the low end.While everything I’ve listed above are a lot of things, something seems missing. Perhaps there is some sort of surprise related to any of these things - or something else entirely? Only Apple knows for sure. And they tell us one way or the other, tomorrow.
Sonny Dockson, at his blog writes:
Up to this point, it has widely been thought that the iPhone 5S will only come in 3 colors: Gold, Slate, and white with silver trim. According to a new images we’ve obtained, however, it appears the iPhone 5S may also come in a 4th color – a grey or graphite color with a black trim. You can check out samples in the below gallery! Richard Padilla, at Macrumors writes: Sonny Dickson has posted new photos showing alleged parts from a "graphite" colored iPhone 5S, which could be a fourth color choice for the phone in addition to the expected black and white choices, as well as the all but confirmed "champagne" color option. The photos show the device from numerous angles with the back, front, and screen housing assembled, and also show it next to the champagne iPhone 5S and iPhone 5S screen assembly. These all seem quite plausible.