Update: Post event - I've striked out the things I predicted incorrectly.
First of all, I want to state that I do not write this post with insider tips of what is going to be released on Tuesday. I am also not arrogant enough to think that more than 5 people who read this post really care what i have to say on the subject. Instead, I write this mainly for my own amusement and enjoyment to publicly state what I think will be announced so as to see how right or wrong I was afterward. If any of this is interesting to you, then so much the better. A lot of what I'm to say you've probably read elsewhere already. By typing these words to pixel, I'm forcing myself to be honest and serious about what I want to commit to and not.
Getting that preamble out of the way, I am going to categorize my predictions into:
- What will be announced (Confident Yes)
- What won't be announced (Confident No)
- What might be announced (Unsure)
- Two new phone models: iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C.
- iPhone 5S in: White/Champagne, White/Silver, Black/Silver,
- iPhone 5C with plastic backs in assorted colors
- iPhone 5C contains mostly or all iPhone 5 internals, with possible "weaker" components here and there.
- iOS 7 GM demoed (and released to developers for download)
- Sell and ship dates; pre-order Sept. 13 starting early in the morning, and delivered(FedEx/UPS) or on sale in store on Sept. 20.
- iTunes 11.1 + iTunes Radio demoed; available for download late Sept 19/early Sept 20
AppleTV will receive some type of software update. Not sure on exact features as I haven't payed much attention to it in this beta period. AllThingsD said enchanced Home Sharing functionality to easily access your own content on foreign AppleTVs (as in ones at work or a friend's house). This plus whatever updates are being done to it to work with functionality being added in iOS 7.
- iPhone 5S will be faster, have a better camera, support new AC Wifi spec....you get the picture. Almost all existing hardware components will improve in some way.
- OS X 10.9 Mavericks will not be released
- No 'iWatch' or whatever it is to be called (and I'm still not convinced this will ever be a product)
- No new Apple TV hardware
- No Mac Pro or any updates to any Macs
Not So Sure About
128GB option for iPhone 5S Leaning yes. Somewhat confident
- I'm not sure if we'll see new iPads and iPad minis, but I'm leaning towards a no given that would be a lot to announce during a single event and we've seen very little to no rumors about these. I believe the iPad event will be in October along with the new Macs and Mavericks. Leaning no. Somewhat confident.
- iPhone 5S (maybe 5C too???) finger print scanner on the Home Button. There has been a lot of smoke about this one. Code for it was event found in the iOS 7 SDK. Leaning yes but not confident.
- Pricing shift with regards to storage due to the 5C being introduced:
- iPhone 5C will come in 2 sizes - 16GB and 32GB
iPhone 5S will come in 3 sizes too - 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB at the existing pricepoints we're used to. Leaning yes but not confident. I can't help but feel that 16GB is much too small of a storage size on their premium model 6 years in. Adding the "cheaper" iPhone 5C for casual customers allows them to keep a 16GB option and to entice those same people to spring for the 5S due to 32GB size option on the low end.While everything I’ve listed above are a lot of things, something seems missing. Perhaps there is some sort of surprise related to any of these things - or something else entirely? Only Apple knows for sure. And they tell us one way or the other, tomorrow.